There cannot be any worse humiliation in the exit from the World Cup tournament. The team which was being prepared for past more than a year by coach Greg Chappell and Rahul Dravid could do nothing right in the end.
What all went into the preparation for this moment of glory well actually not!!
1. Constant shuffling of players during batting to give exposure to all players and find the right combination. Did they finally manage to get the combination??
2. The training at Pegasus Institute to build the team as a cohesive unit with good amount of bonding. Though they went for the training without proper results the investment looks to have just gone down the drain.
3. The frequent games between India Seniors, India A and India B to find the right set of players. Where did the set of players who performed then go?? The performance when it matters and is required is never found with the team.
4. So many controversies created all over with Ganguly’s exit & entry, Sehwag’s poor form all through except once a year, Harbhajan Singh’s bad mouth.
5. The numerous advertisements featuring Yuvraj, Dhoni, Dravid, Sachin, Sehwag, Agarkar. I strongly feel the Indian Cricket Board should take a tough stand here. These guys make money in all possible ways but its fine as long as they can perform.
What should have been the right combination in yesterday’s game…
1. It was a crucial game and the memories of 1996 World Cup were forgotten or thought could be buried, but the ghosts do return!!
2. Indian team has never been good chasing a total and past record does prove it. Going by current record the team has also not done good batting first. So having won the toss India should have batted first, but memory of earlier game against Bangladesh is still fresh in mind.
3. Dinesh Kaarthick should have played instead of Utthappa, Utthappa has not got any good score in last two games and tried to play poor of poor shots yesterday. DK is a better bet that too with batting second and where balance was required.
4. Harbhajan Singh should have not been there but Kumble would have been the best bet. One can’t afford to see a strike wicket taker go without any wickets. Even if you give 10 more runs but take 3 wickets things do change. If one cant do that there’s no point in he being in the team.
What happens now….
1. ICC looses lot of money because viewers in India and Pakistan might not be keen on the remaining games.
2. Lot of Indian team players can very well settle into their homes for rest of life.
3. I pity all those companies who pumped in money in getting cricketers to endorse their products. Now you see those products and want to buy them, just think how it has affected the Indian team performance!!!!