For Part 1 of the series click here.
The protest against reservation still continues but the Goverment is going ahead with its proposal. But what is it that these guys actually want. Do they have a solution as to how OBC’s and SC’s and ST’s get higher education. What is it that should prevent these guys from education and who are we to prevent them.
If reservation is the way to get education for them, so be it. But is the benefit actually reaching out to them?
From what I have seen happen, though not everyone can be categorised.
The quota allocated has to be filled as much as possible. When the guy with lowest of lowest marks enters the college for higher education
1) Finds difficult to cope with the academics. His primary interest might be on other topics but hes now into this place where he is not able to understand what is being taught. His classmates dont have much time to spare for him since they have to study to clear the exams.
(a) What he ends up doing, steals question papers from faculty’s room.
(b) Bribes attendant with few bucks and add’s sheets of answers copied from textbook
(c) Tries to smuggle in papers with pre-written answers or important points
2) Faculty rarely explains in detail in class, one needs to refer to books in library. He is lazy and does not want to read more on the subject. The end result he fails in the subject.
3) His class mates talk something which is unable to comprehend, this makes him to develop an inferiority complex. He distances himself away from the class and leads to hatred for others.
4) He gets into a group of similar guys and spend time in smoking dope and other habits follow. He spoils himself.
5) He does not actually like studies. His primary interest is something else. But he is pushed to this world of competition which does not allow him/her to enhance his skills further in his area of interest. The end result he is not able to do anything worthwhile.
6) He drops out inbetween and gets into nefarious activities.
The other set forms the creamy layer among the reserved category. He is pushed to the General category to create additional seat in the category. This denies oppurtunity to another deserving candidate in General category. This guy in the creamy layer should also be allowed only within the reserved category.
There are survey’s which points to vacancy in the reserved section. There are also reports which mention how they are unable to come to terms with competition. While providing a candidate with admission under the reserved category there should be questions put forth like
1) Is he interested in continuing studies or is he forced to study
2) What is his primary interest. If he wants to do farming what benefit would he get by studying medicine or engineering. He should rather pursue studies on agricultural and ways to improve on that segment.
3) What does he plan to do after studies
4) What is his past academic record. He need not have scored 99% or 100% but something like say atleast 60%.
Having said all this, am not against reservation but it should reach to deserving candidates among the category.