I dont think the two cities can be compared. But when I looked at the life in Mumbai and after seeing life in Bangalore for 4yrs I thought I should share something.
1) I woke up late on Monday morning in Mumbai (habit of staying in Bangalore) and went down I thought the whole city was walking up and down to catch the next bus, train, taxis to reach their destination. At the same time in Bangalore I find few cars on the roads and none of the roads are busy at that time.
2) In important bus stops in Mumbai one should stand in the queue for boarding the bus. Something you dont see in Bangalore. I personally do not like to stand in queue for boarding the bus. In Mumbai, if you are not part of the queue and want to board the bus, you should wait till the end of queue is reached. Shucks man.
3) Unlike in Bangalore where people are relaxed and lazy, in Mumbai people are more active and they got their priorities straight.
4) There are no suburban trains in Bangalore which is impacting the traffic flow which is not so in Mumbai.
5) I was surprised to see big roads without any pot holes and speed breakers. In almost important places, the roads are wide enough and people can just zoom through. If you are hit forget it, I dont think anyone would help you they have to reach their office in time.
Same is the case in Bangalore people dont help so easily. But the roads are small and with so many signals, you can zoom through. If you dont find a pothole then probably your are flying in a plane and not on the roads!!
6) If any event happens in Mumbai the people come out to the streets in big numbers. Picture this, when running the Marathon there were people everywhere, buying and giving something or other to runners. A band is playing drums all the time. People are aware and people encourage sporting activities.
Marathon was conducted in Bangalore also last year. The crowd was those of runners in the starting point and enroute there were people at 2-3 points. The people in the cars were impatient and wanted runners out of the way.
7) The traffic in Mumbai was stopped for 7hrs on the main stretch and no one complained. Everybody did their part in encouraging the runners.
In Bangalore traffic was stopped and regulated, all drivers pressed hard on the horns, shouted at the police.
8) You see somebody and smile in Mumbai they would smile at you. In Bangalore try it, you might get a scorn look. People are more friendly in Mumbai.
9) In Mumbai buses the numbers are not written in English, if you are from different place its difficult to understand.
In Bangalore the numbers are written in English, you wont have any problems in reading that.
10) Everybody in Mumbai thinks you know Hindi. Not so in Bangalore.